Saturday, January 10, 2009

A very Pine Grosbeak day!


My sister ( I took this WHILE riding my bike!!)


Today, my sister and I want to do some biking, and for me, that means Bigby birds! We biked south, along Middle Rd, and saw one Black-billed Magpie, and a Rough-legged Hawk. The hawk was new for my list, at #22. It was almost a horrible day for biking with the clouds and stong headwind, untill we spotted some gray birds in a Crab Apple Tree (right?). At first glance, which was still at a considerable distance, I called the birds Bohemian Waxwings, be upone riding closer (slowly) I saw one with rosy-red, not orangy-rust. PINE GROSBEAKS!!!! I yelled it in my head, fearing the birds would fly. My heart was pounding intensly, and was trying with all my might to stay calm and quiet, fearing the birds would fly. I first saw a few females, then notice the male, which lead be to Grosbeak, not Waxwing on the ID. The female sat atop a branch and posed, but was outdone by the showy male. It was as if he knew he was gorgeous and was showing off is plumage for the camera, will hiding it under the tast of feasting on the plentiful fruits. This was by far the best views I have ever had of Pine Grosbeaks; they were just 7 feet away!!

After that showstopper, the next two new Bigby birds were the aniclimax of the day, but still great! I saw and heard a couple CEDAR Waxwings in the flock of Bohemians we later saw (yes, saw....not grosbeaks!). Near home, we flushed a few Ring-necked Pheasants, and that was Bigby bird #24.










1 comment:

  1. you either delete that picture or get tortured in your sleep. which will it be...im in a very UNforgiving mood.

    ReplyDelete