Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Hunt for Redpolls


Male Common Redpoll I drew after not finding any.



The Trail Head


Today, my dad and I headed to some areas looking for redpolls for my county Big Year.

First we visited the head of a hiking trail which had many birch trees, which the seeds of such trees are the favorite food of Redpolls. Surprisingly, there were almost no birds what so ever there. Just one Common Raven flew by.

Little waterfall on a creek, and the trailhead


Catkins, the food of the elusive Redpolls


Next we drove down various roads along the Flathead River. There were so many birch trees, I was absolutaly surprised when the only bird we saw a Ring-billed Gull flying upstream.

All in all, it was a bad day for birding, but a beautiful day for enjoying the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment