Sunday, August 1, 2010

Campin' and Birdin'

Monday, after work, I meet up with my family. We were to go camping, and they already set up camp at our spot. This was a great spot too; it was full of birds! Along Hungry Horse Reservoir, the birds are great and the water is warm...perfect.

Tuesday morn, I woke up at 6:30am to the sounds of Swainson's Thrush, MacGillivray's Warbler, Red Crossbill, Townsend's and Audubon's Warbler ((formerly the Audubon's form of Yellow-rumped Warbler-they were split, again)) What a wonder way to wake up!

I walked around the campsite, and down to the lake.


The birds were great!! I got eye-level looks at a Townsend's Warbler feeding in a bush. AMAZING! Juvenile Ruby-crowned Kinglets were right in my face! Cool stuff.


Walking back, I spooked a male Pine Grosbeak. I got some good looks at him. It sure has been awhile since I got good looks at a male Pine Grosbeak.



Swainson's Thrush were everywhere out there.
Huckleberries. The second greatest joy of camping up here.


Wednesday, my dad and younger cousin went and explored. We found a nice hiking trail up high in the mountains, and started trekking!
Up there, I saw a Cordilleran Flycatcher!! yearbird number 198!
Coolest butterfly!!

I saw some good birds, and had some good times.

Check back soon for more posts about my birding in the last 2 days!

2 comments:

  1. Great posts. It looks like I need to head off to Montana sometime for summer birding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your positively pro Josh. Can I borrow your camera sometime? I think it focuses on close up things better than mine.

    ReplyDelete