Thursday, July 29, 2010

Work Benefits...

Monday the 26th I woke up bright and early. Time to do some birdin'

I took a drive down Riverside Rd in Creston to visit the "Bobolink" spot off of O'Bryan Rd. Unfortunately, its just late enough in the season that the males aren't singing very much, but I did find 2 bird!!! I love seeing BOBOs

Right near there, along the stream, there was about 40 Bank and Cliff Swallows! I found a juvenile Bank Swallow that must of gotten clipped by a car; it couldn't fly and was sitting on the road.


I moved the poor bird off the road and wished him/her a good life, not knowing how much longer he/she will live.
That is one benefit of working in Bigfork. I have to drive past great birding spots to and from work!
Now after a great day at work (Kehoe's Agate Shop) I was told that there was a lot more shorebirds at the Farm Rd pond than last time I was there. On my way home, I went by, and behold! Shorebirds!!!
There was a lot!! About 30 or so!
15 Long-billed Dowitchers (above)
3 Greater Yellowlegs
8 Lesser Yellowlegs
3 Semipalmated Sandpipers
5 Killdeer
2 Least Sandpipers
and one Spotted Sandpiper
The first 4 listed were yearbirds!! Woohoo that makes 195
I walked up closer to the pond all stealthy like a ninja and attempted to get some good Shorebird photos :)

3 Long-billed Dowitchers and a Least Sandpiper pictured.

What a great day! I really do miss birding, and I am really really really glad I am getting back into the swing of things!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice waders there Josh. Bank Swallows aka Sand Martins comon on the rivers near here.

    Cheers

    Davo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you lead a wonderful life!
    Cheers,
    Georgianne from Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I love those birds!

    Thanks Georgianne!! I try to anyway :)

    ReplyDelete