Sunday, September 6, 2009

Birding the local Patch - the passerine migration begins

Last year, from now until November, I birded my neighbors vegetable garden. There yard is the BEST magnet for migrating songbirds I have EVER seen! 9 species of warblers and 11 species of sparrows in one season in one place, and all three Zonotrichria sparrows (white-crowned, white-throated, Harris's) in one binocular view! The migration has just started and only a few migrants are trickling through.

Only Savannah, and Chipping Sparrows were here, but I did have the first large sparrow of the season. Either Song, Fox, or a zonotrichia sparrow. I know that is a wide range of suspects, but all I saw was a flash of a large, dark sparrow drop into the acre of corn, and one chip note.

4 warblers today, MacGillivray's, Wislon's, Orange-crowned, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Also a family of Lazuli Buntings, and Blue Jays were about. A few odd, or uncommons today; Red-naped Sapsucker, Pileated Woodpecker and Cooper's Hawk. Nice finds.

I snapped a few pictures, but I know that later in the season when the birds pick up, I will get some more, and better shots.

Pine Siskin in the corn
Really cool clouds today
Savannah Sparrow in the corn

No comments:

Post a Comment